Friday 9 December 2016

Train travelling in Northern Norway

Trondheim train station is more crowded than the adjacent bus terminal due to more frequencies. I'm quite sure I was the only non-local and asian on that day at the train station. So I have gotten a tiny bit of attention. Haha!

While wandering around Trondheim, I did spot a few Chinese or asians. But they are really far and few in between. So its easy for me to stand out. 

Fortunately, I manage to snag one of two couches at a hidden corner of the train station, out of public view. There are some power outlets to charge my phone. Need to have the travel adapter and my phone plug.

Fortunately, the convenience shop is open at least until the last departure of the day, which is mine. Great to get some hot drinks and finger food.

There is no announcements made for the train's arrival. About 30 minutes before departure, I started to head for the train platform. It involves taking a lift below one level, walking a short underground pass, then another lift to the platform level.

Fortunately, the train is at platform early and we are allowed to board the train.

This is my first experience on a Norwegian train. I only booked a normal train seat, costing me $50 on a mini pris ticket for a ~9 hour journey. I'm glad to find the blanket and eye pouch waiting at the seat. Similar to what some overnight airlines provide. The carriage has a 2-2 seating configuration with generous recline more than an airplane economy seat. The seat feels spacious and there is fold-down tray for use. Power outlets are available as well.

There is a food outlet in another train carriage with food and drinks for purchase. The toilets are huge (unlike airplane toilets) and reasonably kept. Though it could use some air freshener.

This train departed and arrived right on schedule for my bus transfer. Along the way, it stopped at many stations. I spent much of the night looking through the train window at the passing scenery and the many train stops.

After taking the cruise heading down from Kirkenes and Trondheim, I'm now heading up again from Trondheim to Fauske. The electronic display announced that the train would pass by the Arctic Circle, but I could not locate the Arctic Circle symbol in the dark night. A day train will be better for spotting it.

No comments: