Friday 9 December 2016

One day in Trondheim

The ferry arrived at Trondheim on Day 5 at 0630 on the dot. I must say that the ferry has been on time for almost all the ports. The schedule has been very smooth.

I checked out my cabin early in the morning and stored my luggage at the luggage hold room beside the reception. This room is operated by scanning my cabin room card. Again another showcase of high tech Norway. 

After the hearty buffet breakfast on the ferry, it is time to bid goodbye to the ship. MS Trollfjord has created wonderful memories for me. Seeing the Northern Lights, the Norwegian fjords, crossing the arctic circle, passing through many Norwegian coastal ports that few tourists would ever venture.

With that, I disembarked from the ship before 10am, which is the ship's departure time from Trondheim. The ferry will continue its way to Bergen, arriving in another 2 days.

From the port, there is clear signage to walk from the ferry to the bus terminal and train station for onward journey. For me, I have set aside one day to explore Trondheim before taking the overnight train to Fauske.

Unfortunately, I had not booked any day room in Trondheim which would be great given the long "layover". There are automated coin-operated luggage lockers in the bus terminal. The lockers in the train terminal is operated by credit card which I'm not sure how to use. So I just stick to the coin-operated ones. There is a convenience store at the train station to change for coins. The biggest locker is big enough for my luggage.

With my luggage stored safely, its time to explore this city. Trondheim is Norway's third largest city, after Oslo and Tromso. I still haven't set foot on Tromso, despite passing through it at night on the ferry. Another reason for me to revisit Norway 😊.

Trondheim is a picturesque city. There are beautiful pictures waiting to be taken and places to be explored.

About 20 minutes walk from the ferry to the bus terminal and train station

Hotels near the ferry port

The bus terminal is often empty. Very few arrivals and departures on that day.

Picturesque waterfront in Trondheim

There are some ancient buildings like this one around Trondheim


The shopping mall in Trondheim central. I think Torg means shopping mall.

Came across this statue of a Viking while walking aimlessly around Trondheim. The central area is not big. I can easily walk around in a couple of hours.

One of the most famous landmarks in Trondheim. The Nidaros Cathedrals dates back many many years.

There is a souvenir shop with a coffee joint beside the cathedral.

I chanced upon a lively market on a Saturday. I bought some great, cheap snacks as well.

There are fastfood joints such as BK and Mac in Trondheim central.

Soon after it turned dark, I headed back to the bus terminal to begin waiting for my train.

That's it. My next post shall continue my adventure in Norway and Sweden !

No comments: