Tuesday 16 April 2019

Aloha Hawaii !

December '18 was the first time I have the chance to visit Hawaii. Over the years, I have seen many beautiful pictures of Hawaii portrayed as a paradise, so I wanted to visit this place. In recent years, budget carriers AirAsia and Scoot started flying from Southeast Asia via Osaka, Japan to Honolulu, Hawaii so this gave me a chance to travel there on a budget.

From Busan, South Korea, I took a short flight on Peach Airline, a Japanese budget carrier, to Osaka, Japan, so that I can connect to AirAsiaX flight from Osaka to Honolulu, Hawaii.

Upon arrival at Honolulu airport, there are unique airport buses that transfer passengers to the main arrival building for immigration formalities. At the arrival hall, I pre-booked an airport shuttle to send me to Polynesian hostel, where I'll be staying for the night. 

After leaving my luggage at the hostel, I quickly headed out to my first stop: the waikiki beach. Literally just a short walk from my hostel.

Waikiki beach, a tourist attraction in Honolulu

Hawaii has a year round tropical climate, even in december. So for once on this trip, I can put aside my winter coat.

There are many shopping malls and hotels along the main street in Waikiki. There are ABC stores selling Hawaiian souvenirs. To me, the main street is very commercialized.

On my second day in Honolulu, a rainbow !


Polynesian hostel is able to arrange a group tour to visit Pearl Harbour at a low price. It's a place I have known about when I was studying history in school. Truly fascinating to see it first-hand.


There is first a talk in the auditorium, followed by a boat tour around the memorial.



The Pearl Harbour tour took up half the day. 

Upon returning to Waikiki, I visited Diamond Head using the public bus.


After alighting from the diamond head monument, it is a long walk uphill and through a traffic tunnel to reach the diamond head entrance.


After visiting the diamond head, it is soon time to head back to the hostel, pick up my bags and take the same airport shuttle for my flight.

Honolulu airport departure area has an outdoor garden featuring great pavilions! 

 Great outdoor opportunities for plane-spotting!

Hawaii is one of the main highlights of this trip. I am glad I have the chance to visit this place. Waikiki beach, pearl harbour and diamond head are some of the must-see attractions on Honolulu. Next time, probably after visiting other countries, I would come back again, but this time taking the Pride of America cruise around Hawaii!