Tuesday 9 April 2019

Tour of South Korea part 1

During my December '19 trip, I went to South Korea twice. My two-day stop in South Korea happened after my Turkish Airlines flight from Gothenburg, Sweden. My second stop in Seoul for a longer tour will happen some days later.

My flight landed in Seoul at night. After immigration formalities, I took the airport train to the express bus terminal and purchased a bus ticket to Busan on the same night.

The ride was quick and uneventful, with a short stop in a town. I reached Busan in the early morning hours. After alighting the coach, I walked in the terminal building to find a spot to spend the night. On the second level, there was a 24-hour lotteria fast-food restaurant within the terminal building. I ordered a meal and spent the remaining of the night in it. There were few other patrons and it was safe. There are power plugs at some seats to charge my devices too. More importantly, this saved me a night's accommodation cost.

Lotteria restaurant, Busan bus terminal

As day breaks, my first order of the day is to get to Haedong Yong Gung Temple. This temple is located by the sea, and is the most beautiful temple in South Korea. I have visited it once before in 2009-2010. Its sunrise views is simply stunning!

To get there on public transport, a subway followed by a bus ride is necessary. After alighting from the nearest bus stop, it is then a ~30 minute walk to reach the temple by the sea.






After watching the sunrise and having a cup of tea at the teahouse, it is time to visit the haeundae beach, made famous by the movie of the same name.


Great views from the haeundae beach😀

After which, I went to visit the Gamcheon culture village for the first time. This involves hiking up a hill.


This view of colourful houses more than makes up the effort to walk up the hill. Definitely worth it !

This sums up my quick tour of Busan in South Korea. I headed to the airport on the subway for my peach airline flight, a Japanese budget carrier, to Osaka, Japan then transit to an AirAsiaX flight to Hawaii. This is my first time visiting Hawaii and I'm looking forward to it!