Friday 5 April 2019

Movie review: Shazam

I went to watch the Shazam movie this morning! Really enjoyed the movie. Great show and few crowds on a friday morning. 😀 It's the second day showing in Singapore. 

This movie is by DC comics, an American comics book brand, which is also behind some famous movies shown in Singapore such as the Dark Knight series and more recently Aquaman.

The movie began in New York City (my favourite haha!), where young Dr Sivana grows up to become the villain. 

The show then went over to modern day Philadelphia, a city in the United States. The city view really looks great. Makes me think of visiting it again haha! 

Last September, I had a quick stop in Philadelphia but had no time to explore the city. So now is probably the time to craft my next trip to the United States this December. 😀
I'm hoping to take the world's longest flight on SQ from Singapore direct to Newark, New York City, then move downwards to  Philadelphia, then Orlando Disney World, then Miami for the Carribean cruise. 

After which, I will visit South America. I have yet to make up my mind on whether to take a cruise between Chile and Argentina in South America as it doesn't come cheap and I have a limited travel budget. For me, with the cruise, I can explore parts of South America that I wanted to see and need not visit again. For now, I'm keeping my options open.

Back to the movie. Billy Batson lost his mum and went under the care of foster parents together with other children, who were quickly introduced in the movie.

One day in the Philadelphia metro, he was transported to a cave to meet the wizard Shazam, whom he would inherit the magical powers from. The movie then shows the life of Billy where he learns and grows his powers. Soon, the villain caught up with Billy in the city and they had a showdown at the Carnival in Philadelphia.


All the foster children first shouted out Billy, to everyone's amusement, and then Shazam. After which they turned into adult superpowers themselves and helped fight off the villain monsters.

The final showdown happened on an isolated rooftop, where Billy pointed out that the last villain Envy has been absent all this while. Turns out, it is within Sivana. Soon the monster left Sivana. Billy then took out the evil eye from Sivana and rounded up all the monsters, each representing one of the seven deadly sins.

The movie ended in Billy's foster home where the foster family happily enjoying a meal.

In the post credits scene, a locked-up Sivana was seen writing symbols all over the wall. He was then communicating with another evil power, and probably would continue to be the villain again in the sequel.

Overall, a great movie with an easy-to-follow storyline. Also an inspiration for my next trip America trip!