Tuesday 24 September 2019

Cape Town Airport Lounge and SQ CPT-JNB flight review

Cape Town airport is small considering it's a touristic city. After check-in, security and immigration formalities, there are a number of shops alongside the departure gates. It's also where I purchased my African souvenirs!



 Though travelling in SQ economy class, my star alliance gold status allowed me access to the Bidvest premier lounge, which is shared by many airlines in the airport.


Reception is on the ground level. After which, it is one level up to reach the lounge.


Despite the number of airlines using this lounge, it is surprisingly light crowd with plenty of empty seats.


Food and beverage options are sufficient with reasonable varieties. However, the shower within the lounge is not available for use. Overall, still a good place to rest and relax before a flight.

As with all SQ flights, complimentary newspapers are offered to all passengers. It was light load from Cape Town, with the majority of passengers only boarding from Johannesburg.


On this short sector between Cape Town and Johannesburg, only a tiny tray of fried rice and hot beverages is offered. I was hoping they could serve something more substantial. On a flight of similar length, such as Singapore to Bangkok, a full meal was served. The main meals are only served after departing from Johannesburg.


During the transit in Johannesburg, passengers originating from Cape Town remained on board. No one deplaned since this domestic flight is not available for booking.

I shall not review the second sector of this flight to Singapore as it is similar to other SQ economy flights. It is more or less a full flight, with great service and comfort, even in economy class.

Since I remained onboard in Johannesburg, I was unable to review the star alliance gold lounge in Johannesburg at this time. I will have to leave it to June, 2020. 😀

In this trip, I spent little time in South Africa. So I hoped to visit here again. Fortunately, recently SQ had a great promotion from various cities in China, via Singapore to Johannesburg, South Africa. I have booked my originating city from Beijing since I can travel on the A380 to Singapore and A350 onward to Johannesburg. Provided the aircraft type is not changed. Haha! It costs cny3606, or the equivalent of about S$700, which I considered a great deal for 4 flight sectors! 

Other than South Africa, I intend to visit some other countries on the continent as well. Maybe Zambia, Zimbabwe and Tanzania. Nothing's fixed as of now, but I hope to visit Victoria Falls!