Monday 16 September 2019

Australia '19

In the past 10 years, I have been to different cities of Australia such as Perth in the west  and Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Gold Coast on the east. I have also been to Adelaide in the south.

However, I have yet been to Tasmania, an island separated from mainland Australia.

In March this year, I chanced upon cheap flights on Scoot airlines to Australia, so I decided to use this opportunity to visit Tasmania.

With my outbound flight to Gold Coast airport and inbound flight from Melbourne on Scoot airlines fixed, I just needed to work out my itinerary to Tasmania.

Flight tickets between mainland Australia and Tasmania cities of Hobart and Launceston can be booked cheaply on Australian budget airlines such as Jetstar and Tigerair. 

Eventually, I settled on Jetstar flights from Melbourne to Hobart and from Launceston back to Melbourne. I used the Tasmanian redline coach, a comfortable and cheap way to travel between the Tasmanian cities.

Yup, this entire Australian trip centres around budget airlines haha!


A morning arrival on Scoot into Gold Coast, flying past its beaches!

Gold Coast from the sky!


Relaxing at the surfer paradise beach

Other than its beaches, Gold Coast is also famous for its theme parks. So I visited movieworld 😀

Its latest exhibition features some impressive aquaman movie sets and costumes

After that, I took a short train ride from Gold Coast to Brisbane downtown for a stroll!

And checked out the museum as well

Soon, I took the Brisbane train to the airport for my Tigerair flight to Melbourne so that I can connect onto my Jetstar flight to Hobart.

With a night in Melbourne, I decided to head out to the queen victoria night market. It is only open on wednesday nights and I happen to be there!



Featuring quirky merchandise and good street food

I walked around Melbourne downtown and soon passed by the flinders street station. Looks great at night.


Within the city limits, I knew that some trams are free to ride on but unfortunately I didn't have time to find out which ones. Next time if I were to pass by Melbourne again, I'll be sure to check out the trams.

The circle line tourist tram is free to ride as well but it only runs during the day. Something to take note of.

After my night out in Melbourne, I took the skybus back to Melbourne airport for my overnight stay. There is actually a cheaper public transport option to downtown but it involves multiple transfers so I didn't try it.

In my next post, I shall detail my adventures in Tasmania!