Monday 23 September 2019

To South Africa !

I recently returned from an enjoyable trip to Shanghai, China and the United States. The main purpose of this trip is to ride on American Airlines business class on its B777-300ER transcontinental flight from Los Angeles to Miami, which I have booked months earlier. However, I had only settled on my entire itinerary just a week before departure due to other commitments. 

As part of this trip, I managed to visit Shanghai disneyland, Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida and visit the American Airlines Flagship lounge at Los Angeles and United Clubs lounge in various U.S. airport locations.

I shall review this trip at a later date.

So now, my first ever trip to the Africa continent, my 6th to date!

My trip starts at the star alliance gold lounge at Changi Airport, thanks to my krisflyer status. It is a great place for relaxing before a flight and with plenty of food and beverages offerings. Unlike the silverkris lounge, it doesn't offer shower facilities.


SQ A350

It is always a pleasure to board an SQ flight, even in economy class. On this afternoon flight to Johannesburg, South Africa, cabin service begins with a packet of nuts and beverage.

SQ A350 wingtip

First meal

Celebrating my birthday in the sky with complimentary cake and champagne!

Second meal before landing

Reaching the African continent

A statue of Nelson Mandela greets arriving passengers into Johannesburg!


Upon arrival, I walked to the nearby bus station to wait for the shuttle to my hotel for the night. My room at the Airport Inn Bed and Breakfast is clean and offers a comfortable stay. After checking in, the receptionist guides me to my room, a short walk away.

This poster in Johannesburg airport got my attention

My domestic flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town was booked on Kulula, simply because it offers the earliest possible flight time the next morning.

Inflight literature

Mango Airlines

British Airways flies within South Africa too!

A beautiful sunrise on my flight😀

Being a budget airline, Kulula doesn't offer complimentary food or drinks. So I had this breakfast pack from the hotel.

Great views of the African landscape





Arriving into Cape Town !