Friday 27 December 2019

A trip to Taiwan, Hong Kong and Xiamen: An Introduction

In August this year, I made a quick trip to Taiwan, Hong Kong and Xiamen in this order. This trip materialized during the National Day holiday week in Singapore. 

These destinations were picked as such because of the last minute discounted business class fare on Cathay Pacific which I ticketed just days prior to my travel.

It was a return ticket from Xiamen via Hong Kong to Singapore, two sectors in each direction. The ticket cost ~S$800, for four business class sectors, all on widebody aircraft, definitely a steal. 

Not to mention lounge access at the origins of travel and during transit in Hong Kong. The lounge in Xiamen was just alright, nothing outstanding. But I will get to check out the newly opened Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 4 where Cathay Pacific opens its own lounge and where its multiple flights depart from Singapore. 

Of course, at its Hong Kong hub, there are four Cathay Pacific lounges to choose from, the Pier (best lounge), the Deck and the Wing and the Bridge.

I intend to travel on the second leg of this ticket in June 2020, to kickstart my African trip. I will talk about this upcoming trip in another post, when more of my plans are firmed up.

Coming back to my August trip, I had to set out my itinerary as follows: 
An overnight Jetstar Asia flight to Taipei;
A tour of Taipei;
Eva Air flight Taipei to Hong Kong;
Hong Kong disneyland;
Cathay Dragon economy class Hong Kong to Xiamen;
Cathay Dragon business class Xiamen to Hong Kong;
Cathay Pacific business class Hong Kong to Singapore

I won't be reviewing my Jetstar flight to Taipei. In this post, I wanted to do a review of my short tour of Taipei, one of my favourite cities in the world. By now, I have been to Taipei many times. It is easy to get around the city by metro, which also connects with the international airport.

Celebrating National Day at Changi Airport

I took the metro to 西門町 in Taipei, a shopping district


My next stop is the famed 龍山寺 in Taipei



It comes with a waterfall


With that, I headed back to the airport to catch my Eva Air flight to Hong Kong, but not before accessing the star alliance lounge at the airport.