Thursday 26 December 2019

My 2019 year-end trip - An Introduction

My 2019 year end trip has been great ! Possibly one of the best trips of my life, since Easter Island. All the memories...

This one-month long trip brought me to countries in Europe, Africa and the Middle East, most of which are my first-time visits, such as Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Iran. 

Towards the end of the trip, I have also finally decided on how to return to Singapore from Hong Kong. A last minute redemption of a one-way saver fare on Singapore Airlines business class, which also allows me to check the three star alliance lounges in Hong Kong airport. 

I could have gained access to these lounges by travelling in economy class, but then there were no more saver fares in economy class. A last-minute paid ticket around the Christmas holidays was too exorbitant. So this seems the only practical option for me. Lesson learnt. In future, I will book all my flights way in advance. Well, at least it's a great way to return to Singapore!

In my subsequent posts, I shall detail my adventures on each of these fascinating countries and cities that I visited. 

On this trip, I also managed to gain access to various airport lounges around the world. So I will be reviewing them as well.

This is partly due to my star alliance gold status, which allows me to visit lounges even when travelling in economy class on star alliance flights.

In addition, some of my flights were booked on discounted business class tickets, such as Kenya Airways' Mumbai to Geneva return flights, KLM's Hamburg to Madrid one-way flight and of course SQ's Hong Kong to Singapore flight.

Thirdly, my dbs altitude card afforded me two complimentary lounge visits yearly around the world, which I chose to use during this trip, in Amman and in Dubai.

Finally, other than my business class flights, I have also tried out economy class some interesting airlines on this trip, such as Aeroflot, flydubai and Middle East Airlines, which may not be familiar in my part of the world. So I will be reviewing these as well.

Yup, so do look forward to my subsequent posts as I relive my once-in-a-lifetime adventures!