Tuesday 31 December 2019

A trip to China and the United States in Sept 2019: An Introduction

In September 2019, I took a one week trip to China and the United States. The primary motivation for this trip is the American Airline business class ticket which I had booked some time ago. From Vancouver, Canada, via Los Angeles and Miami, to St Maarten in the Caribbean Sea.

In addition, I have long wanted to visit Walt Disney World in Orlando. Since I would be in Miami, I might as well visit Orlando since these cities are near to each other.

Finally, I chanced upon a cheap, one way ticket on United Airline from San Francisco direct to Singapore.

With that, I put together this trip. From Singapore, I traveled on Spring Airline, a new airline from me, from Singapore to Shanghai to visit the newest Disneyland.

From Shanghai, I would take American Airlines across the Pacific ocean towards Los Angeles.

From Los Angeles, United Airline would take me onward to San Francisco and then position me to Vancouver, Canada. As a Star Alliance Gold member in 2019, I would have access to the United Club lounges in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Unfortunately, I missed the chance to visit other Star Alliance lounges in Los Angeles.

After an overnight in Vancouver airport, I would embark on American Airline towards Los Angeles and Miami. This gave me the chance to try out American Airline business class on its E175 aircraft, an Embraer aircraft not commonly seen in my part of the world. Strangely, American airline doesn't offer lounge access for its premium passengers at Vancouver airport.

On the Los Angeles to Miami route, American Airline deployed its internationally configured B77w aircraft on my date of travel, and allowed its premium passengers access to its flagship lounge at Los Angeles airport.

I booked this ticket with St Maarten as my final destination. Unfortunately, due to schedule and high ticket cost out of St Maarten, I had to give up the last leg of this booking. As much as I would like to visit the Caribbean countries, they will have to wait.

From Miami, I took an overnight coach to Orlando to visit Walt Disney World.

At the end of my visit, I took United Airlines from Orlando to San Francisco and onward back to Singapore, giving me the chance to visit the United Club lounges in Orlando and San Francisco airport.

This is a short and expensive but fulfilling trip for me. It gives me new airline and lounge experiences and I get to visit disneylands in China and the United States.

In the subsequent posts, I shall review my journey and relive the wonderful memories from this trip!