Wednesday 1 January 2020

2020 New Year Resolution

Welcome to 2020 ! Now is the time to set new year resolutions. Before I do, let's revisit the list from the previous year

So what travel goals had I fulfilled in 2019? I had visited Russia, taken the Transiberia railway and visited Morocco. 

What about the unfulfilled wishes? I didn't manage to sightsee in Cape Town due to last minute schedule changes. And I didn't visit South America in 2019 as I had other destinations in mind.

With that in mind, here are my wishes for 2020..

I will strive to work hard this year, to earn money to fund my travels. I intend to visit the Maldives in March this year. I came across travel sites that showed me how to travel around Maldives for a low budget. I won't be staying at posh island resorts, but rather, at guesthouses on Male as well as some other islands reachable by public ferries. Here's hoping there are cheap air tickets in March from Singapore!

In June, I will visit China and Africa. This time round, I will make a conscious effort to visit Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, as well as some African countries such as Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Tanzania.

In China, I hope to visit Chongqing, the three gorges and Xi' An, for the terracotta armies.

Right now, I have confirmed longhaul air tickets between Singapore, China and Africa on Singapore Airlines, a great way to fly. 😀 Flights between African countries are very expensive, more so than in Asia and Europe. So the African countries that I will visit will ultimately depend on air ticket prices. But certainly I will visit South Africa again, properly this time.

Finally, for this year end, I intend to visit South America, namely Chile and Argentina. Tickets from Singapore to South America are very, very expensive, due to the distances involved. So I will keep a lookout for cheap airfares via other countries such as Australia, Europe or the United States. 

I'm still toying with the idea of taking a two week cruise in South America. Cost is the sole factor that is stopping me from booking right now. The last I checked, it costs ~S$5000 for the cruise. Of course, a cruise will remove the logistics involved of getting around the continent, from transport to accommodation to meals. Let's hope the cruise companies will offer discount for the cruise !

Yup, these are the travel aspirations that I have for the year 2020. Maldives, Africa and South America.

Other than these destinations, I do want to visit, if possible, countries in Central Asia, such as Uzbekistan, European countries such as Luxembourg, Sarajevo, Ljubljana and Albania. Greenland as well. In terms of cities and regions that I hope to visit, that will include Sicily in Italy, Nuremberg and Stuttgart in Germany, Nice and Cannes in France, Monaco as well as Matterhorn in Switzerland. But these will wait till I chance upon cheap air tickets.

Over the years, my travel goals have shortened considerably. I no longer have a bucket list as I have fulfilled mine some years back. Now I simply look forward to traveling to the countries less traveled from my part of the world, wherever there are cheap airfares.

As I travel less moving on, I can allocate more of my income towards saving for retirement, which in Singapore, can be expensive.

Finally, any travel is only possible when I'm fit to travel. So I will continue to be health conscious and take care of myself at all times.

Happy 2020 !😀