Wednesday 15 January 2020

United Club lounge @ Los Angeles Airport and United domestic flight Los Angeles to San Francisco review

In my previous post, I wrote about my intentions to visit the U.S. in March this year. However, as things turn out, I likely won't be heading there at all, due to work commitments. I have yet to book any tickets, except for the return leg on American Airlines, which I'm probably going to miss.

After my transpacific flight from Shanghai, I landed at Los Angeles airport. As my domestic flights are within a few hours, I didn't leave the airport grounds. Previously, it takes me around one hour to reach Los Angeles downtown from the airport on the shuttle. So I headed to terminal 7 for my domestic flights on United Airline.

Fortunately, my star alliance gold status granted me access to the newest, largest and possibly the best United Club lounge within the U.S. I could have visited the other star alliance gold lounges in Los Angeles airport even if travelling on United domestic flight, but unfortunately, it didn't cross my mind.


After entering the lounge, there is an escalator leading up to the lounge area.

Great views for plane spotting !

Food options, though better than other United clubs within the U.S., still pales in comparison to other star alliance lounges

My snacks


Soon, it was time to board my United flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

This short domestic flight is operated by a United B777-200. Most likely an aircraft swap. With many empty seats, it definitely feels spacious and comfortable compared to the usual narrowbody flights.


Service on this United domestic flight.

Great view of sunset

Service on U.S. domestic flights is limited to snacks and drink, almost comparable to or even better than European flights. Luckily, once arriving at San Francisco, I will have access to the United Club lounge with complimentary food and drinks, while waiting for my next flight to Vancouver, Canada.