Sunday 21 December 2014

Shanghai ' Dec 14

Just returned from my 4th trip to China. This time, I went to Shanghai, an economic powerhouse, Hangzhou for its picturesque West Lake, Suzhou for its gardens and silk, Nanjing for its history and a few other smaller cities. This area is entering winter now, with temperatures frequently dipping below zero.

These cities are beautiful in their own way. The only gripe I have about Shanghai is its pollution. There are clear skies in the other cities I visited except Shanghai. It was covered with haze. I also noticed that in Shanghai, there are much more westerners than in the other cities. Business trips, I guess.

My favourite place in this trip is Hangzhou, which according to the tour guide, one of the happiest cities in China. And I agree. The pace of life is slower and the beautiful scenery makes the city conducive for living.

Shanghai Oriental Pearl Tower

View from the top of tower on the 黄浦江. I like the shadow of the tower resting on the river:)

In a garden in Suzhou. One of the smallest bridges in China. Can cross it in 3 steps

Suzhou garden

Cruising the Suzhou canals at night

Saw this merlion at the Suzhou Singapore Industrial Park shopping area. Doesn't look too friendly !

Wuxi 太湖. Only a few times bigger than Singapore..

Memorial Hall of Dr Sun Yat Sen

Night shopping in Nanjing

Hangzhou 西湖

Cruising on 西湖. Note the clear skies.

Hangzhou 龙井茶 plantation and shop. Going with a tour group to China meant that we have to come to these shopping places. And I brought some tea leaves. Good for health !

Wuzhen scenic zone. A very beautiful and well-preserved area.

Finally, cruising on the 黄浦江 in Shanghai at night

To end off, another fulfilling trip !

No comments: