Tuesday 30 December 2014

South Korea '10

This is my 2nd trip to South Korea. It is a very beautiful place. Last time we went, it was winter and it was my first time seeing snow and snowing. This time, we decided to see Korea in summer. We still went to Seoul, but we explored other cities.

The first monument we see in Geumsan. This is a very small city, can be covered in a few hours. It is not a tourist destination. In fact, I'm quite certain that we are the only tourists in this city in the 2 days we were there. This city grows ginseng and sells ginseng. There is even a ginseng museum here. There is a wet market where every seller sells only ...? Guess .... 

Not only this, the shops here sells all kinds of ginseng candies, biscuits and chocolates! I tried and bought some, but not really to my liking. I also tried fried ginseng here. They fry it in flour and serve hot! Each one only a few SG cents.

I don't think this small town is on any tour package route, so you would have to come here on your own, on their long distance coach. I don't think there is any train station nearby. Directions are all in Korean, so be sure you know the basics!

A nice bridge, but with very few admirers

Stone pagoda, a National Treasure

At a pottery village


This almost barren land is actually Hwangnyongsa excavation site of an ancient temple.


The only submerged tomb in the world for an ancient king

Bulguksa temple, an UNESCO heritage site. This is a popular tourist destination, but luckily not many tourists when I was there. Too many nice places in Korea to visit:)


Beautiful place at night. The ancient temple complex and its reflections

No comments: