Tuesday 10 July 2018

Dubrovnik to Split ferry review

After touring Dubrovnik, I need to find a way to get to Zagreb, the capital of Croatia, for my flight to Brussels. The easiest and fastest way is to take a domestic flight, but it is costly on the day I need to travel. So I began to research on other travel options and came across a scenic ferry route.



There isn't much review on the domestic ferry service. By reading several reviews, I sort of figure out how to take the ferry, operated by a company KL in Croatia.

There is an online booking and payment option for the ferry service by the ferry operator. Shortly, I receive an email with the ferry ticket attached. It is vital to print out and bring the ferry ticket along on the travel date. Everyone else does that and there is a personnel checking the printed ticket at the ferry entrance.

After visiting Dubrovnik, I proceeded to the bus stop at the old town entrance. There is a small ticket office at the bus stop to buy a single trip ticket for the bus 1B towards the ferry terminal.

The local Dubrovnik buses are modern and the bus stop even features an electronic display of the bus arrival timings.

It takes merely 20 minutes from the old town to the ferry terminal. The ferry terminal is on the left from the old town and there is a bus stop after that. The bus continues beyond the ferry terminal.

Inside the building, there is a manned counter for ferry services and some seating area.

On that day, there are two scheduled departures from Dubrovnik bound for Split, though they take different routes, one leaving 30 minutes before the other. 

I had booked myself on the later one. In the end, few minutes prior to leaving, the personnel said to take the earlier one instead, probably because there are some empty seats available. As the seating on the lower deck ferry is free for all, I ended up with a less than ideal window seat.

Fortunately, the ferry empties out enroute to Split and I manage to get another more ideal window seat. There are limited power ports available on the ferry, located near the ceiling by the window. Not sure whether there are food and beverage services though.

Anyway, this is the ferry route (I think): 
Dubrovnik -> Mljet -> Korcula -> Hvar -> Milna -> Split

All these are smaller towns along the Croatian coast. The end destination is Split, a big Croatian city. The entire journey took ~ 4 hours, with splendid sea views and of the towns as well.

This is the ferry. There are two identical ones, supposedly travelling on different routes.


 
These smaller Croatian towns almost look identical to me. Haha ! They are all situated at the foot of tall mountains by the sea.



It was dusk by the time I reached Split.

The ferry provides a unique and comfortable way to travel from Dubrovnik to Split. Window seats are a must to enjoy the great sea views. There are still available seats so I don't think it is necessary to book in advance.

From Split, I will be taking my first ride on an overnight Croatian train from Split to Zagreb. This will be covered in the next post.