Thursday 5 July 2018

Tour of Skopje, Macedonia

This is my first time in Skopje, Macedonia. Eastern Europe has always been fascinating to me. By now, I have been to Central, Western and Northern Europe. Apart from Poland and Hungary, I have yet to explore much of this part of Europe. From my online research, I think it will be less touristy, less tourist attractions, less convenient to move around due to less tourist infrastructure.

Warsaw in Poland is definitely more developed and easier to get around. Budapest in Hungary is definitely touristy. By comparison, Skopje is less so.

After dropping my bags at the hotel, I went for a walk along the river and at the Macedonia Square. There are few people around, mostly should be the locals. There are not many tourists taking pictures. I didn't seem to spot another Asian tourist around.

Nevertheless, it is relaxing to walk around. I feel safe at all times. Certainly there are historic places waiting to be explored.





Inside the museum

The alleyways are filled with shops worth exploring


There are many huge statues and water fountains

The arch of triumph

Skopje is worth a day's visit, as it is not a big place. The main attractions are centered around Macedonia square, with some hotels located in the area, such as holiday inn hotel. The area is compact is easily explored on foot.

Right beside the holiday inn hotel is a shopping mall with a supermarket and some eateries. There isn't any western fast food in the area, best I could tell. But the local food and the ice-cream is cheap and great.

Yup, this is an afternoon spent at Skopje. The weather is just great for walking around, and it actually rains the next day, when I'm at the airport waiting for my flight to Vienna. 

In my subsequent post, I shall be visiting Vienna, Austria, another interesting Eastern European country.