Monday 9 July 2018

Lufthansa Munich to Dubrovnik flight review and my tour of Dubrovnik

After a very pleasant overnight stay in Munich airport airside, I headed for the departure gate for my morning flight on Lufthansa to Dubrovnik. 



There wasn't a lot of passengers at the gate, right up to boarding time. Turns out, this flight was fairly empty. I had the whole row to myself. There were plenty of empty rows as well. I didn't use this opportunity to make an economy class bed for myself though, as it was morning; I had a pleasant night sleep; and the scenery outside the window in the sky was captivating enough to entertain me for the whole flight. Haha !

As with other intra-Europe economy class flights, a choice of snack and coffee/tea was offered.
Sandwich (above) and coffee (not in picture)

This flight was operated by the bigger A321 narrowbody aircraft, though was mostly empty on that day, making a very conducive flight experience. As with other short haul European flights, the only entertainment offered is the seatback inflight magazine and no PTVs.

Soon, the flight descended to a low enough level for some time and I could see out over Croatia and I believe we flew past Dubrovnik old town. Looks like it anyway. 

Dubrovnik airport is small. There are no jetbridges. Buses are available to ferry all passengers for that literally one minute trip up the ramp to the terminal building.

Alighting the plane from stairs at Dubrovnik airport

Immigration queues, though long, move quickly and before long, I'm at the arrivals area. There is an airport bus that is timed to meet all arriving flights. However, the bus ticket needs to be purchased at the office in the arrivals area, something that I didn't realize at first before proceeding towards the waiting bus.

The bus departs only after every single seat is taken. About 30 to 45 minutes later, I alighted at the old town for my self guided tour. 

The old town was simply captivating, right from the moment I stepped foot on it.

The walled city is free to enter and wander around. The main attraction has to be climbing the city walls, which is ticketed. However, the views from the wall is certainly worth it.

Sea view upon alighting the airport bus

At the drawbridge towards the old city

Less foot traffic at this morning hour

As I wandered around the alleys, I had breakfast at this small eatery. Prices here are quite high due to being a popular tourist destination. There is fortunately, a supermarket here, at a corner in the old town.

View on the city wall


Having previously seen many postcard pictures and advertisements of this place, Dubrovnik old town is really worth coming to see in person. The view over the Adriatic sea is nothing short of captivating. Highly recommended to visit !