Wednesday 4 July 2018

Holiday Inn hotel, Skopje and Transport to and from Skopje airport

From Oslo Torp airport, I took a short haul Wizzair flight to Skopje. Wizzair is one of many European low cost carrier offering cheap fares on intra-Europe routes. Just a month earlier or so, I chanced upon cheap fare on this route so decided to book it and giving me a chance to visit Skopje, Macedonia.

The aircraft type and on board services are similar to other low carriers in Europe and other parts of the world. There are buy-on-board food and beverages and duty free shopping. Seat and legroom is comparable as well.

It's a full flight on that day, with me being the only Asian tourist onboard. By now, I have gotten used to this. Haha! Nevertheless, it's a good flight as far as low cost carrier goes albeit a slight delay on that day (much to my advantage !). I will gladly book it again if there is cheap fares on my preferred route.


Skopje airport bus

Upon reaching Skopje airport, there is a long immigration queue for foreign visitors. The officials took some time with me as apparently, they are curious about the Singaporean passport, which I doubt they have seen many, if any. And they are also curious why I would visit their country as a tourist. In the end, I was allowed through immigration and ended up at the arrival halls.

At the arrival area, there are some currency exchange offices. I used one of them, but not sure whether it is official as I was not given any receipt. The rate was comparable to the other offices.

After that, I had a quick meal at a sandwich cafe. There are power plugs along the benches though not many people are using them.

After that, I began to look for the Vardar airport bus, according to my online research, that will take me into the city. Only to realize that the bus is now operated by Manora. This is hardly mentioned online.

The bus is easily identifiable with its aircraft-like decor. There is a PTV and usb port at every seat, though not switched on on my return journey. Anyway, for the city trip, a minivan is operating in its place. It feels crowded due to all seats being taken. The fees is the same for both the minivan and the bus, so taking the bus is definitely better as its more spacious.

There is a website by Manora on the fixed bus timings. The ticket is paid to the attendant at the right end of the airport building. On the return journey to the airport, the ticket is paid directly to the driver as I board.

There are only 3 stops from the airport: capital mall, bus station and directly opposite holiday inn hotel. For my convenience, I decided to alight at the hotel and book a night there.

Skopje airport bus stop opposite hotel

Holiday Inn hotel, Skopje

The hotel's walk-in rate is reasonable to me, so I decided to stay here for the night instead of going to my pre-booked accommodation, which is a long walk from here. This also allows me to have a longer time exploring Skopje.

Not only is this hotel directly opposite the airport bus stop, it is also right beside Macedonia Square, where the main attractions of Skopje are. This makes for easy sightseeing.

I was allocated a single room at the last room down the corridor. And the view was excellent!

Standard single room is big by any standard

Impressive hotel lobby

Excellent views of my room towards Macedonia Square

Excellent night views as well !


Window view towards another side of Skopje

Two sets of windows in this standard room with great views

With the convenient bus connection to the airport, reasonable walk-in rates inclusive of breakfast and excellent city views, this hotel is highly recommended for a visit to Skopje.