Thursday 12 July 2018

Tour of Zagreb

Zagreb, the capital of Croatia, is a tourist destination in Eastern Europe, though not as overcrowded as the big cities of London and Paris. During my visit, I chanced upon some Asian tourists as well.

Zagreb train station is conveniently located between the bus station and old town, both within walking distance, even with luggage.

Zagreb train station


After alighting from the train, I purchased some coffee from a vending machine and a snack within the station. Thereafter, my handy google map offline led me towards the old town.

June is definitely a pleasant time to visit Europe. Temperatures are great and weather is cooling, if sometimes a bit warm. 

From the train station, I walked towards the old town, taking in the marvelous sights of this Eastern European country along the way. There are also trams in front of the station to the old town as well.

The old town is fairly compact and easily covered on foot in half a day.







After some exploration, it is time to head towards the bus station and take the airport bus towards the airport for my flight. There is a dedicated enclosed waiting area and office for the airport bus. The bus schedule is pasted on the office wall, leaving every 30 minutes for the airport. The fare is paid directly to the driver upon boarding. 

Bus station building


Had a cappuccino at this cafe within the bus station. 


The cafe offers plenty of power ports at every table and free wifi. Great for travellers like myself ! 


Airport bus schedule with frequent departures to the airport



This is my last stop in Croatia. I feel that this country has plenty to offer for travellers. From picturesque Dubrovnik to the old town in Zagreb, there is certainly something for everyone. The ferry ride and the overnight train has given me some unique experiences as well.

It is these special experiences that kept the travelling bug in me. I travel not just to enjoy the destination but also the journey itself. As long as I'm able to, both physically and financially, I will continue to travel for the experience. This particular trip has been very enjoyable to me. I have been blessed with great clear weather for exploring. For the most part, I guess.

The airport bus dropped me right outside the airport terminal. I arrived plenty early for my Brussels airline flight via Brussels towards Copenhagen to embark on the second highlight of my trip. 

So next up is my brief flight review of the short haul intra-Europe flights with Brussels Airlines on two sectors, transiting Brussels airport and an overnight at Copenhagen airport