Wednesday 25 July 2018

SAS flight review Copenhagen to the exotic Faroe Islands

After a pleasant and comfortable overnight stay at Copenhagen airport airside, I'm thrilled to be flying to the Faroe Islands. This is the other highlight of my trip, after Svalbard, and the reason why I travelled from Asia to Europe at all.

On approach to the Faroe Islands

At the time of booking, SAS is offering cheap flights to the Faroe Islands, around the same time to Longyearbyen, Svalbard. The flight to Longyearbyen leaves from Oslo while the flight to Faroe Islands leaves from Copenhagen. Since both are in Europe and within Scandinavia, I decided to visit these two exotic places on the same trip.

Turns out, they are indeed a trip of the lifetime!

I booked cheap SAS fares on the way to the Faroe Islands and Atlantic Airways on the way back since they are cheaper for the dates I want to travel. A three day two night trip to the Faroe Islands is sufficient for me to discover the place. Of course, to truly explore all the corners, a week will probably be better. As I'm travelling on a budget and with limited days to travel, I just stick to a three-day trip.

SAS offers mobile boarding pass, the reason why I'm able to stay overnight airside without having to get a paper boarding pass. Also, Copenhagen airport is made up of one terminal with all gates connected by walkways, making it easy to navigate.

This flight departs from a gate close to the Air Greenland flight, both departing around the same time. This gives me a chance to see the sole magnificent A330 aircraft for myself. The picture is covered in my previous post, so I shall not repeat it here. Another time perhaps. Haha !

This SAS flight departs on time and is uneventful. I was allocated the last row seat, and fortunately, has the whole row to myself. This means I was able to make myself an economy class bed and lie down for the whole flight.

As with all other intra-Europe flights on legacy airlines, a coffee/tea service was offered on this flight, though I skipped as I had earlier had an expensive breakfast in the airport terminal. Much like the rest of European airports, prices of food are significantly higher compared to Asian airports. 

But unlike other airlines such as Austrian and Lufthansa, no complimentary snack was offered on SAS. Intra-European flights are all short haul, so it's not really a big deal to me. 

Of course, the service definitely loses out to carriers in Asia, where a flight in similar duration on Asian legacy airlines offers a proper meal even in economy class.

On this SAS flight, the entertainment is definitely the scenery outside the window, especially coming into land on the Faroe Islands.

Interestingly, this aircraft features usb port at every seat. But I can't remember whether it's actually working.

I always feel good above the clouds ! 😀

It's usually raining in the Faroe Islands, according to my tour guide.



As with all remote airports, there is no jetways. So deplaning is always on stairs. This always makes for a picture of the aircraft that just brought me here.