Tuesday 17 July 2018

Review of Brussels Airlines flight Zagreb to Brussels to Copenhagen and Overnight in Copenhagen Airport

Zagreb airport is modern, fairly small and easy to navigate. I arrived at the airport early on the airport bus. There are only a few shops and cafes at the check in area. But otherwise, there is nothing much to do while waiting for check in to open. 

Though there were only few people waiting to check in flights at that time, seating is rather limited at the check in area, so preferably not to arrive too early at the airport.

At the check in counter, I was asked to weigh my hand luggage trolley, which is over the limit by ~ 2kg. Then the check in agent asked me to fit into the nearby luggage sizer, which fortunately fits in, so I need not pay extra fees.

The luggage sizer seems to be of a standard size in various airports, as my luggage is always able to fit in with only a margin of space left. I'm glad to have brought this luggage along, saving me a ton of checked baggage fees.

At the gate area, there are plenty of comfortable seating with power ports and usb ports.

Soon I boarded my first of two Brussels Airlines narrowbody flight. By this time, I have taken many intra-Europe flights and have come to expect the services onboard. Which is mainly a complimentary coffee/tea service on legacy airlines. 


At Brussels airport, I have ~ 3 hours layover. At the airside, there are only several eateries with expensive food items. So I decided to head over to the Brussels airport Priority Pass lounge, located one floor up.

View from the lounge. The familiar sight of Ryanair, which I have taken from London to Oslo. The other aircraft is Easyjet, which I will be taking from London to Morocco in December.

The lounge is fairly small and not crowded. Food is limited to mainly the delicious Brussels waffles, hot soap and drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic). No shower facilities though. 

After about an hour in the lounge, I headed to the departure gate for my second flight to Copenhagen. It was announced that the aircraft will be delayed to cater to connecting passengers.

While seated in the aircraft, I saw another Brussels airlines aircraft exterior decorated with smurfs ! 

I liked the slogan "brussels airlines - we fly you to the home of the Smurfs"

So on that day, I learnt that Smurfs came from Brussels. Haha !

The aircraft reached Copenhagen late, close to midnight. But it's alright to me, as I intended to spend the night in Copenhagen airport airside.

Fortunately, I checked in for my SAS flight the next day online and received the mobile boarding pass, saving me the trouble to exit and enter Copenhagen airport.

During my Europe trip, I actually spent two nights in Copenhagen airport. In the wee hours, the airport is quite deserted, with very few passengers around. It is possible to find a corner, lie down and sleep. The couches are very comfortable for a good night's sleep.

In the morning, I was actually woken up by another passenger asking me whether I'm heading to Paris, I think. Turns out, I was sleeping at the gate where the Paris flight is departing from. Haha! Such a kind gesture from a fellow flyer.

Anyway, my flight to Faroe Islands was due to depart at 1100. So I contemplated whether to leave the airport for a couple of hours in the morning. In the end, I stayed in the airside and had my breakfast at one of the eateries. Procrastination, I guess 😀. I had been to Copenhagen city previously, so didn't feel a need to visit again.

While walking along the airside corridors, I spotted this Air Greenland A330 aircraft, bound for Kangerlussaq. Prices are actually quite expensive for the short ~ 4 hours flight to Greenland, as there is no competition on this route. So I didn't choose to visit this time. Another day perhaps haha!

Yup, with this, I soon boarded my SAS flight, on my way to Faroe Islands, another highlight of my current trip, and an exotic destination to visit.