Sunday 25 January 2015

Brunei '13

Brunei isn't on the tourist radar. To me, it has always been a country whose currency is pegged to Singapore's. Ever since I started watching news on tv regularly, when it comes to weather forecast, it will include Brunei's weather and its location. From then on, I decided one day I want to visit this country. 

After doing some homework, I realize that SQ and Royal Brunei fly daily between Singapore and Brunei, and the flight time is a mere 2 hours. As RB offers cheaper tickets, I decided to fly with them. A quick booking of the flight tickets, hotel stay and local tours, I'm on my way!

Feeling peaceful in the sky. RB flights always start with a Muslim prayer before the flight take off.

Almost there! 

Looks so grand and awesome!



Walking around Brunei downtown. The country is safe to walk around all day and night, even though hardly any other Chinese tourists around.

Interesting clock tower



Floating structures


A boat ride

Into the tropics!

Tree top walk. This is quite high, made of steel structures. I seem to have developed a liking for this:)

Another grand mosque

Shopping malls and the mosque

To the King's palace. It happens to be Hari Raya holiday today. According to the guide, the Palace is only open during this festive holiday. Lucky me!


We indulge in a buffet that is free and is serviced by the workers.

This innocent, cute Japanese boy becomes my neighbour and my playmate for half the day as we wait in the Palace to see the King and his royal family. His English is surprisingly good and we exchanged games to play. He is on a Southeast Asia tour, including Brunei, with his grandpa. He has already been to Singapore.



The Brunei royal family in the background, coming back from their lunch, to continue meeting visitors and shaking our hands. They even gave each visitor a gift in a ornate golden box! If I remembered correctly, the box contains a $5 or $10 note and and a traditional cake. Sadly, when I exited the palace, I saw a few boxes being thrown away on the grass patch. Seems to me some people were there for the $$

Anyway, a great ending to a tour of Brunei:)


No comments: