Tuesday 20 January 2015

Yangon, Myanmar '13

Whenever I'm busy or I feel tired, I will always think of my past travels. This will make me happy. I guess its something that I like. For others, it may be shopping. But for me, being a globetrotter is the thing for me. I'm not really at that stage yet. There are continents I haven't been to yet, America and Africa. Someday.. maybe. Not a desire. 

My purpose in travelling is to see the world, to experience what other countries has to offer. I do not have a target, like how many countries to visit, neither do I want to set one. Right now, I'm very contented at having been to some countries. I have learnt to take things as they are, and be thankful for the present moment. 

This post is about my first trip to Yangon, Myanmar. It is a very laid back country, infrastructure not really fully developed. The result is, not so much tourists, friendly locals and great atmosphere.

Singaporeans need to apply for a visa to get fly into Myanmar. I have to check out the embassy, which is at a quite secluded building in Orchard. One time to do the application, another time to receive the visa. I think it only takes about 1 week.

I flew on SQ to Yangon, about 3 hours flight. Not many Chinese tourists, in fact, not many tourists. I stayed at this hotel with a direct view of the famous Shwedagon pagoda. A lot of people, mainly the locals. I like the city, for now, for the crowd free city. As the city becomes more developed, it may get more and more tourists. So now is a good time to visit Myanmar if you haven't been there:)


Shwedagon pagoda at night, from my hotel room

Driving to a nearby city, on the way, saw this big magnificent.

 Saw many of these golden pagodas.

Sleeping buddha. Saw another statue nearby in the open.




Paper flowers





Most impressive picture so far. 




Many locals come here too !

No comments: