Thursday 8 January 2015

四川, China '11

Went to  四川 province in China. It was december, but I was not well prepared for the weather. When I landed in Chengdu, it was chilly. Going up to the mountains, there was mild snowing and I needed a winter jacket. Had to buy one and gloves at the mountain. Fortunately, they sold it cheap.

I booked air tickets with Airasia, with a transit in KL. Flights were smooth, and I hired a private local tour guide online, mainly because I have only about 4 days in Chengdu, while most tour packages are selling for a week. Another thing is I dislike travelling with tour groups to China, and only China, because their itineraries always involve going to shops such as jewellery, jade, medical hall, etc. 

Newspaper articles frequently report of tourists going to such shops pressurized to buy things which they don't really need, and some salesperson can be rather 'pushy' about selling stuff. This is something that I don't like. On the other hand, China is one country where free and easy trips cannot be easily planned, mainly because the transportation to tourist attractions are not always convenient, especially going to outlying areas such as mountains, so I have to rely on tour groups. Fortunately, having been to China, Hong Kong and Taiwan with tour groups many times, I have not really met 'pushy' salespersons, and I have never feel pressurized to buy anything. Honestly, I have bought stuff from these shopping stops which I don't really need, but at least those are things that I like.

For this trip to Chengdu, I have emphasized to this online tour company many times that I do not want any shopping stops. It will be mainly a sightseeing trip. So end up, all my time there is spent only on sightseeing, any shopping is willingly done on my part. I think I paid extra for no shopping, but it is reasonable and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. The tour guide was very good, helpful and friendly. I remembered getting his particulars over lunch, but I forgot where I have put it. I had wanted to hire him again on my next China trip, but I guess not possible now.

In Chengdu, I went to the famous mountains 乐山大佛 and 峨嵋山峨嵋山 is one of the four sacred mountains of China. Enjoy:)


乐山大佛

Must see attraction in 四川 






Acrobatic performance. Usually in China's tour itinerary

In the mini bus on the way to 峨嵋山

So cold and snowing that I had to buy this jacket there.


Me and snowman !



Monkey @ 峨嵋山

Cable car ride to go further up

Bus tyres must be chained to prevent skidding
At the top of 峨嵋山



No comments: