Friday 12 October 2018

A travel idea to traverse Russia

Visiting Moscow has always been in my mind. The advertisements of Moscow almost always feature the domes in the Red Square. So beautiful that I had to see it for myself.

So what's stopping me then? Well, the visa cost ~S$200 for me. Next is getting around Moscow using trains. From my online reading, the airport train is fine, but the metro, if I understand correctly from online reviews, doesn't really feature much English. Anyway, there are English version metro maps online now, so probably solved this problem.


In my mind, I envision two ways of visiting Moscow. One, taking Aeroflot flight that transit with a long layover in Moscow. This may actually happen as I had yet to book a one-way flight from Europe back to Asia at end of this year. Aeroflot flies to the big Chinese cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. One way fares from Europe are reasonable and I could select flights with long day time layover in Moscow. Great opportunity for me to visit the domes 😀.

Another idea that surfaced recently is the Trans Siberia train. It is expensive for me, yes, but it is also a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I will be in South Korea in december, with no concrete plans or anything booked yet. During my online research, I read upon a weekly ferry connecting South Korea and Vladivostok, in the Russian far east. Ferry fare is reasonable for the overnight trip. 

From there, the Trans Siberia train makes the journey all the way to Moscow in the West. An epic train trip. Train fares vary according to the class. Third class can be had for a little over 100 euro. Second class is more than double. First class is quite expensive. Should I be really taking this train, I guess I would opt for second class for a more pleasant traveling experience.

This is really tempting for me. Haha! Besides, my wizzair flight from Budapest to Sarajevo has a schedule change and wizzair kindly allows me to refund the ticket cost, thus freeing up my original travel plan for this epic trip.

So now my travel decision boils down to: visit Russia or Jordan? 😀