Saturday 13 October 2018

Polish ship Dar Młodzieży (Gift of the Youth) in Singapore

Polish ship Dar Młodzieży or Gift of the Youth docked in Singapore for a few days in October 2018. It was on its independence sail across the world.

For two days in Singapore, the ship opened its main deck for the public to visit for free!

Specs of this ship displayed for the public


The ship docked in outside Vivocity Shopping Mall in Singapore


A booth was kindly set up and manned by the ship's crew. There are complimentary toffee, candy, and a bunch of brochures encouraging visitors to visit Poland.


The ship's sailing is to celebrate Poland's independence

Some posters about Poland were set up

Advertisement for Poland's maritime university

A live band playing great Polish music !

The public was allowed on the ship from 12pm onwards. There wasn't a queue at all, probably because it was a weekday and I believe there wasn't a lot of publicity for this event. Only the main deck was opened for access. I was hoping to visit the ship's other cabins as well. But still, better than nothing.

This ship tour is a great way to introduce Poland as a tourist destination to us. I have previously been to Warsaw, Poland, on a self-guided tour. Not many Asian tourists over there. Though Poland was usually included as part of the Eastern Europe group tour from Singapore, it wasn't really advertised much as a destination itself. 

Nevertheless, this year end, hopefully I get to visit Krakow too, while on the way to Amman, Jordan. I have recently booked return budget flight tickets from Krakow to Amman, on Ryanair (again). The fares are just tempting. Haha!

However, this is towards the end of my month-long trip. I have yet to decide when or how to return to Asia, which will in turn affect whether I get to visit Krakow or Amman.

In addition, I'm thinking of taking the Trans Siberia train. Just not decided in which direction, from Vladivostok to Moscow or the other direction, which will be useful to get myself back to Asia, though I will need a week for this epic trip.