Monday 15 October 2018

Getting started on my Round the World (RTW) trip - Qantas flight and Sydney tour

My first Round the World trip wasn't what I had hoped for. In my previous post, I had mentioned about the unfortunate schedule changes to my Fiji Airways flight from Singapore to Los Angeles. This then produced a trickle down effect which affected some parts of my planned itinerary.

Still, I made the best of the situation and enjoyed the trip once round the Earth. 😀

First destination on my RTW trip - Sydney



In Singapore Changi Airport, Qantas operates an early check-in lounge in terminal 1. Passengers can drop their baggages and obtain their boarding passes early in the day before their flight. 

Not sure why they called it a 'lounge'? This is not a typical airline lounge, no complimentary food or beverages. 

As I entered the 'lounge', I obtained a queue number from a machine based on my flight number. Then I waited among a few rows of seats for my turn to check-in with an agent. This check-in process is quite fast. I was issued boarding passes on all 3 flights, all the way to Los Angeles. After that, I left the 'lounge' and the airport. I returned to the airport that night for my flight.





My Qantas flight, QF32, codeshares with Fiji Airways, FJ5323. An overnight flight from Singapore to Sydney on an A330 aircraft.

Blanket and headphone are provided at each economy class seat.

A usb port is available to charge my devices


Qantas' in-flight safety video, instead of showcasing Australia's scenery, displays beautiful pictures of countries around the world. Enticing me to visit them!


Flight map to Sydney

On my 6 hours layover in Sydney, I left the airport and went into the city on the airport train for a quick tour. The airport train station is within walking distance to view the Sydney harbour bridge and to enter the Opera house.
 
I felt great to be able to visit Sydney again after some years. 

After a leisurely walk in the cold, grey morning of Sydney, as the Southern hemisphere is leaving the winter season, it is soon time to return to the airport for the second leg of my trip.