Wednesday 10 October 2018

Switzerland: my second layover

I have about 10 hours daytime layover in Zurich, after arriving from New York City, and before departing for Hong Kong.

My original plan was to continue to pursue the Golden Pass train, hopefully covering the remaining two segments of the route all the way to Montreux.

Of course, as I have already learnt long ago, things don't always go according to plan. So I had a different, but equally great experience for my short time in Switzerland.

On this second trip, I had pre-purchased another swiss saver day pass and stored the qr code in my phone app. This again allowed me unlimited rides on almost all swiss trains for the day.

I alighted at Interlaken station. For some reason, which I cannot remember now, I was intrigued by a ferry ride nearby. So I decided to forgo my golden pass journey and checked out the ferry instead. 

By now, it's been some months since I traveled and I cannot remember the name of this ferry ride anymore. The disadvantage of putting off my travel review for so long. Haha! Luckily, my photos were tagged with the location.

The scenic ferry experience on lake brienz, is however, unforgettable.

Anyway, the ferry boarding place is within walking distance from the train station and is actually timed to coincide with this train's arrival.

It seems most of the train passengers who alighted were headed for the ferry too. So I just followed along. At the ticket counter, I was pleased to find out that the swiss saver day pass covered the ferry ride too!




A very pleasant and scenic, if not hot, ferry ride

The ferry made a couple of stops along the way

A castle ! I think..


I believe I alighted the boat at Brienz. Where I connected onto another train bound for Bern. Another impromptu location visit.

Another great weather at Bern



Many impressive architectures in Bern!

From Bern, I slowly made my way back to Zurich airport by train to catch my connecting flight.

A great day in Switzerland !