Tuesday 16 October 2018

My 2019 draft travel plan

As we are into the last quarter of 2018, it is now time to begin setting my 2019 travel goals. Currently, I have yet to make any concrete travel plans for 2019. 

Over the past few days, I have more time to catch up on my travel readings (inspiration for my next trip). And a travel idea is beginning to form in my mind.

In my previous post, I have shared my interest in visiting Russia for the first time. Initially, I wanted to visit this year end, but due to time constraints, I decided against it and to leave it till next June.

My plan is to begin my travel with a budget airline flight to South Korea and spend some time visiting some cities. Then I would take the weekly ferry from Donghae, South Korea to Vladivostok, Russia. 

After a day in Vladivostok, I would then board the epic trans-siberia train to Moscow. The train comes in three classes, with the third class only costing ~S$105 if taken non-stop for seven days.

For more enjoyment, I thought it would be better to break up the train journey and have a day's layover in some cities such as Irkutsk to see Lake Baikal, as well as Novosibirsk, the capital of Siberia. So I would leave the train in the morning and re-board the next train at night. With this itinerary, the ticket would cost ~S$150. A reasonable fare to me.

Once in Moscow, I would like to visit the famous red square and perhaps a couple of the Russian golden ring cities.

Beyond Russia, depending on the number of vacation days I have, I may want to visit some exotic tourist destinations such as Iran, Israel or Armenia. That will, to a large extent, depends on whether I can snag cheap flight tickets.

For my return from Europe, I will most likely rely on budget airlines such as Scoot (from Berlin), Condor (Frankfurt to KL) or Norwegian (multiple routes from Scandinavia to Thailand).

Yup. So this will hopefully for my travel plan for June. As for the first half of the year, I will probably be taking a regional flight for a short holiday in February. Some nearby places include Bandung, Medan, Hat Yai, Krabi and Koh Samui.

As I'm starting to make travel plans for 2019, my focus is still on finalizing my 2018 year end travel plan. Just the thought of it is getting me excited! 😀