Wednesday 10 October 2018

My travel updates

It has been more than a month since I last updated my year end travel plans on this blog. Since then, I have made some hopefully positive changes to my plans, mostly thanks to cheap European regional flights on budget airlines.

Unless I come across more cheap flights from online travel sites, I won't be changing my itinerary much.

I've started to book my accommodations in those cities which I will be spending nights in. In the recent years, to reduce my travel budget, this is something that I proactively try to avoid, by:
1) taking overnight flights/coaches/trains
2) spending the night at the airport

But there are some cities which I'm unable to avoid due to flight timings or no available overnight routing or simply because I'm spending more days in the city. These include Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Bratislava (Slovakia), Nis (Serbia), Almaty (Kazakhstan), Hawaii, Ireland, Morocco, South Korea and Sarajevo.

In addition, my first foray this year end, instead of heading to Bali, I will be holidaying in Bangkok instead. 

Thanks to the recent Krisflyer Spontaneous Escape redemption offers, I have redeemed a SQ business class flight on the latest B787-10 aircraft to Bangkok one way. I will be spending two days there, a city that I'm relatively familiar with. 

Thereafter, I will return to Singapore on a cheap Scoot B787 economy class flight from Don Mueang airport. This will be my first time travelling through this airport and I'm keen to compare my experiences between Don Mueang airport and Suvarnabhumi airport.

Within Europe, I will be visiting Bratislava as well, thanks to cheap Ryanair flights with suitable flight routings for me.

I have earlier allocated a couple of days in Ireland. Well, now I have crafted a great itinerary for my stay in the country. 

Thanks to Norwegian's cheap, direct flight from Newburgh (New York), I can fly direct to Shannon, instead of Dublin, saving me considerable time and budget on travelling around the country. Also thanks to the ongoing Ryanair's 9.99 pounds UK sale flight, I can conveniently depart Ireland from Belfast, instead of Dublin.

I will have 3 days to explore Ireland, my first visit to this country. I manage to set aside time to visit the major tourist attractions in Ireland, something which I have researched at least a few years back:
1) Ring of Kerry
2) Cliff of Moher
3) Dublin Guinness Storehouse
4) Giant's Causeway
5) Titanic Quarter

I have been wanting to visit Ireland for years. Not a bucket list for me, but something to look forward to. Just the thought of this is getting me excited! 


Finally, just earlier today, I have gone ahead to book a Ryanair flight on a sale fare from Krakow to Amman, Jordan. To improve my chances of actually visiting Jordan. Haha!

I'm still leaving my outbound from jordan open. Waiting for more sale fares to come...

If I do get the chance to visit Jordan, then I will have to forgo Sarajevo since the dates of travel coincide. Well, Petra and the dead sea is simply too tempting !